In today’s economy, many potential purchasers don’t have extra cash available for repairs and updates and are looking for move-in ready houses. It makes sense, therefore, in order to attract serious buyers and add value to your home, that you consider the following relatively inexpensive and non-time-consuming improvements:
- If you can’t replace the water heater with a tankless model, wrap the one you have in fireproof insulation.
- Install modern light switches and outlets throughout your home. Add dimmer switches.
- Insulate windows. (Easy-to-follow instructions.)
- In bathrooms replace dated towel racks, light fixtures, sinks, toilet seats, and hardware. Purchase a low flow toilet. Re-grout where needed. If the floor is in poor shape, consider putting easy-to-install vinyl tiles right over the old one.
- Add crown moldings, wood trim, and/or cornices to give room a look of quality.
- Update your kitchen inexpensively by replacing fixtures, faucets, and hardware. Consider pendant lighting. Refinish cabinets rather than replacing them.
- Clean and organize all closets. For helpful free and/or inexpensive designs created for your particular needs, visit Closet Maid.
- Keep shrubs and trees neatly pruned. Plant new trees for energy savings and aesthetic value.
- Add low-voltage lighting for pathways
- Pay attention to the front door. Does it need new weather stripping? A fresh coat of paint? Updated (or at least polished) hardware—knockers, knobs, hinges, and light fixtures?
- Spend $10 to test your lawn for needed nutrients.
- Attend to the garage door. Use a mixture of one part bleach to three parts water and a soft-bristled brush to give it a thorough cleaning. Still dirty or stained? Rent a power washer for about $60.
- Check for faded or peeling paint. Sand and apply a fresh coat.
Real estate gurus will tell you that the wisest updates you can make are in the kitchen and the bathroom. (Not only are these rooms of high importance to buyers, those updates will add the most value and give you a good return on your money.) Check BankRate.com and DIYnetwork.com for suggestions and good advice on the benefits of more ambitious projects for these areas of your home.
Teri Isner is the team leader of Orlando Avenue Top Team and has been a Realtor for over 24 years. Teri has distinguished herself as a leader in the Orlando FL real estate market. Teri assists buyers looking for Orlando FL real estate for sale and aggressively markets Orlando FL homes for sale.
You deserve professional real estate service! You obtain the best results with Teri Isner plus you benefit from her marketing skills, experience and ability to network with other REALTORS®. Your job gets done pleasantly and efficiently. You are able to make important decisions easily with fast, accurate information from Teri. The Orlando Avenue Top Team handles the details and follow-up that are important to the success of your transaction.