A good neighbor might be characterized as someone who’ll look after your home when you’re out of town by picking up your mail and watering your plants. You’d most likely reciprocate for anyone who’d be so generous toward you.
In some cases, you might only be able to name one or two of your neighbors who would step up to that level of service. Wouldn’t it be nice if more people on your street would be happy to make that offer?
The solution may just start with being a better neighbor first. The following suggestions go a long way to improving your neighborhood and making new friends at the same time.
- Meet your neighbors and exchange phone numbers and email addresses. Agree with each other that you’ll let them know if you see something strange going on at their home.
- Slow down when driving through the neighborhood; it will make it safer and everyone will appreciate it.
- Control your dog: keep it on a leash; pick up after it; don’t let it bark too much.
- Don’t park in front of your neighbor’s home.
- Notify your immediate neighbors when you’re having remodeling done and ask them to let you know if any of the contractors cause damage to their property.
- Let your neighbors know when you’re having a party and that there will be more cars on the street than usual.
- Maintain your home and yard so that it adds to the beauty of the neighborhood.
- Put your garbage out for collection on the correct day and bring the containers back in promptly.
In reality, it is fairly obvious; you just have to think of the things that you’d want from your neighbors. Be friendly; don’t be noisy; offer a helping hand when available and respect each other’s boundaries. Having a sense of community and that you all share the neighborhood can be underlying principles that will guide your behavior.
A good neighbor would be aware of suspicious activity and would call their neighbors and the police if warranted. This might be something you can discuss with your neighbors. Click here for a template to record your immediate neighbor’s contact information and keep readily available if needed.
Information courtesy of Orlando Realtor Teri Isner.
Teri Isner is the team leader of Orlando Avenue Top Team and has been a Realtor for over 24 years. Teri has distinguished herself as a leader in the Orlando FL real estate market. Teri assists buyers looking for Orlando FL real estate for sale and aggressively markets Orlando FL homes for sale.
You deserve professional real estate service! You obtain the best results with Teri Isner plus you benefit from her marketing skills, experience and ability to network with other REALTORS®. Your job gets done pleasantly and efficiently. You are able to make important decisions easily with fast, accurate information from Teri. The Orlando Avenue Top Team handles the details and follow-up that are important to the success of your transaction.